Red Lippy Project
Beauty can be a lot of fun and a great way to empower yourself but it can also be used to raise awareness about serious health issues. The Red Lippy Project is a campaign that aims to raise awareness about cervical cancer with the aim of getting women to go for regular cervical screenings. The main objective is to tackle the current dismal figures; that only 32% of 25-29 year olds answered screening invitations from their GPs. Cervical cancer is the third most common malignancy to affect women, with over half a million cases occurring worldwide each year. It is the most common cancer in women under 35 years of age. Cervical screening reduces the risk of developing cervical cancer which is why it is so imperative that women go for smear tests. Running in conjunction with Cervical Screening Awareness Week, the Red Lippy Project is calling for British women to go for a smear.
Red Lippy Project is a registered UK charity which was founded by production director, Caroline Muhlich and make-up artist Linda Andersson. The initiative was created out of Muhlich’s strong desire to change the way cervical screening is perceived by younger women in the UK. This year they have partnered with Topshop who have created a limited edition Red Lippy lipstick which will be in store on Monday 9th June. 30% of the profit will go to Red Lippy Project charity.
The campaign kicks off on this Sunday and runs till Saturday 14th June.
To get involved you you can do any or all of the following.
- Post your Red Lippy Project selfie on Instagram or Facebook along with #redlippyproject #makeamark
- Follow Red Lippy Project on Twitter or Instagram
- Make a donation to the Red Lippy Project via the website or by text by texting RLIP14. £2 to 70070.
- Visit Topshop in-store or online to purchase their Red Lippy Project lipstick and make up bag. 30% of the profit will be donated to Red Lippy Project.
- Get sponsorship. Can you wear red lippy for a whole week? Or will you run a marathon in yours? Open a JustGiving page and spread the word.
- Go to the Facebook page and like/share the project.
- Inspire your friends to get involved in the crusade by tagging them in selfies or by sending them a virtual kiss.